Photos: Bar Snir
I love desserts. I love chocolate, vanilla, ice cream, cheesecake, apple pie and anything else.
But I’ve drastically changed my lifestyle in the past year and have come to the conclusion that you can enjoy something sweet without it being unhealthy.
I’ve taken my favorite tried and true recipes and made them healthier, and yes, they still taste amazing. Every recipe I’ll bring to you in this column uses healthy products (no white flour, no white sugar) and some even have added health benefits (added protein, use of super foods and more).
For my first recipe I’m starting off with one of my all-time favorites - Banana Muffins. They’re delicious, moist and a favorite among kids as well as adults; and perfect as a healthy snack or something sweet to have with your coffee.
No need for a mixer for this recipe — need I say more?
4 very ripe bananas
1/4 cup coconut or grape seed oil
1/2 cup coconut sugar (or switch with organic cane sugar)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
A healthy pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1 1/2 cups spelt flour (a healthier, less processed flour)
Decorate with a few raw nuts (optional)*
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. It’s OK if it’s a bit lumpy. It will give you a lovely moist texture in the muffins.
- With a wooden spoon, mix oil into the mashed bananas. Mix in the sugar, egg, vanilla and bourbon and then the spices. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
- Add the flour last, mix well until it completely combines. Make sure there are no flour bubbles by mashing the bigger lumps with the spoon against the side of the bowl.
- Place cupcake liners in a cupcake tin and fill the batter 3/4 of the way. Make sure not to overfill the liners or the muffins will overflow.
- Add the nuts on top and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean**. Cool on a rack.
*I recommend almond slivers. Almonds have the highest amount of protein with the lowest calorie count
**You can substitute the cupcake tin for an English cake pan (make sure to spray the pan with a non-stick spray) and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
Baking in the heat of Zanzibar!
NITZAN and her partner on TV’s Bake Off Israel, Shy Golan, have recently returned from a fantastic’ week in Zanzibar – their prize for winning the contest. If the temperature was anything to go by on the archipelago off the East African coast, it looks like the duo will have been baking in the heat again!